11/20/2009

Review of What Doesn't Kill You: A Novel (Hardcover)

I'm not saying I didn't like the book, but sometimes it's just a little bit too much realism to read about somebody's adjustable rate mortgage going up, or the fact that they can't afford to get their car fixed.Some days, I'd just rather read about someone being swept off their feet and whisked off to some tropical island resort where they can run across the beach, you know?

Tee, the main character in this novel, is extremely well-drawn and engaging, and the book is actually a fun read -- despite the serious subject matter.The book opens with her attending her daughter's wedding, and then details how her life kind of spirals out of control in the year that follows.Just when you think nothing else bad could possibly happen to Tee (medical accident with no insurance, mortage problems, job loss, car trouble, romantic problems), something does.Meanwhile, everyone else's life appears to be going so well.Have you ever had a year like that?I have.What's fun about this book is the way in which Tee resolves her problems herself -- she doesn't win the lottery, no one else swoops in and saves her.She saves herself.I personally would have liked a little more suspense and drama, since at least for me, it felt like I knew where the book was going pretty much from the get-go.Would I read another book by these writers?I'm not sure, but maybe . .



Click Here to see more reviews about: What Doesn't Kill You: A Novel (Hardcover)

No comments:

Post a Comment