10/31/2009

Review of Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary with CD-ROM (Dictionary & CD Rom) (Hardcover)

First of all, a disclaimer. I love dictionaries. Since I was a little girl, nothing has made me happier than selecting my dictionaries. OK, perhaps I should get a life. Also, I must say that words are my profession and my passion. As a copywriter and writer, I use dictionaries and style books constantly. I must tell you, however, there is a tremendous difference in dictionaries. I spend weeks, even months, selecting the one to buy.

In the case of this particular dictionary, there's no contest! I write a lot for the British market. I have many British clients and must write in British English. I love British English and, to be frank, I think it's more beautiful both spoken and written than our own. But there's far more differences in meaning and spelling and even in the words than one might imagine.

The other day I needed to look up "lorry" to discover it was in fact a truck.

The dictionary gives both the US and the UK meaning and spelling of all the words. It's exceptionally easy to read and use. I use the Palm version and the software more than the book. The software is just great. It's a fast, easy install. The software is easy to use. For example, take the word lorry. If you're American, you simply look up truck and it gives you both the US and the UK terms. It also has an audio that lets you hear the way the word sounds, in either US or UK English.

The software also has a thesaurus, pictures of many things you will look up, a study guide, a place for notes about different words and entries and much more.

I truly love this dictionary. It's probably my favorite (or should I say favourite dictionary.)

If you have need of a dictionary that gives you both the American and the British spellings and definitions, this is the only book you'll need. In fact, if you're a writer who has any reason at all to write in British English, this is a must-have. I know of no other dictionary that's superior to this one.

Highly recommended.

- Susanna K. Hutcheson



Click Here to see more reviews about: Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary with CD-ROM (Dictionary & CD Rom) (Hardcover)

No comments:

Post a Comment