3/16/2010

Review of It's Not About the Money: Unlock Your Money Type to Achieve Spiritual and Financial Abundance (Hardcover)

This is a really different way of looking at money.The author gets you to think about what emotional reactions you have to common financial situations (e.g. I hate thinking about money, I love piling it up, I WANT that car!).Basically he says we might feel manyof these at various times, and the way we were raised may have a lot to do with the dominant patterns.Then asks if acting on those emotional impulses is really working for you.Without criticizing, he gives ideas on ways to lighten up on yourself, how to get out of your rut...and states that often just trying a different behavior, and observing that the world doesn't come to an end, allows you to get increasing control of your reactions over time rather than always being driven by your unconscious drives (or your parents' unconscious drives).

It's really easy, fun reading.As I read about the eight "archetypes" or common patterns he points out, I admit I felt a bit superior to some...but when he got to my main pattern it was scary how accurate he was!Actually several patterns can apply to a person at different times or in different situations, so there's a lot of hands-on advice.(The little online quiz took about 2 minutes and confirmed pretty much how I'd classified myself using the book.)

The interweaving of Eastern thought and quotations was interesting without being gimmicky.I got a lot out of this book and I'm no spiritual guru.

At the back is a "Conscious Investor" chapter that I thought would be a rehash of every other financial self-help book.But instead of the usual "you can beat the market" cheerleading, it's a clear explanation of a pretty rational way to invest.The appendix "Nuts and Bolts" is like a one-chapter basic financial advice book...the key things to know or find out about, without having to read a whole book.(This chapter's about the money at least.)

Bottom line, it's useful, thought-provoking, fun without being insubstantial, and gives concrete advice for managing your irrational relationship to money...and pointers on money nuts and bolts too.



Click Here to see more reviews about: It's Not About the Money: Unlock Your Money Type to Achieve Spiritual and Financial Abundance (Hardcover)

No comments:

Post a Comment