12/27/2009

Review of The New Oxford American Dictionary: Book and CD-ROM package (New Look for Oxford Dictionaries) (Hardcover)

This new American dictionary from Oxford is fantastic. I have the American Hertitage that came out a few years ago and I was pleased with it--it was an up-to-date version of the dictionaries I've always had. But when I received this dictionary I was astounded. For the first time I'm using my dictionary for more than a simple spell check.

First of all, it lists the most common use of the word as the first definition. This seems so logical it's bizarre that other dictionaries don't do it. I no longer have to browse through archaic or niche uses of a word simply because they predate the most common. It creates a whole new level of clarity. On top of this, the pronunciation system is extremely easy to use and the layout is clean and straight forward. It has the feel of a classic (illustrations and drawings only when it informs a word, none of those do-dads, distractions, and unnecessary photos that make other dictionaries look cheap but the makers think will make it look more expensive.) The usage notes are excellent, and there are more new words in it than I've found anywhere else--must be the resources of the OED and Oxford's other power dictionaries that the American lexicographers have drawn on. I actually find myself opening this dictionary and simply browzing.

It's also great with American words. I was afraid that it would be a British dictionary with an American cover wrapped around it, but that's not the case. Look up words like "trunk" and "roundabout" and see what you get.

I do have one criticism, and it's about thumb indexing. I'm not sure other dictionaries have this problem, but the thumb indexing is way off in places because they make the notches equidistant from each other and some letters are larger than others. What's the point of providing a quick finder tool when it's not helpfull

Still, this dictionary is grand. The first American dictionary that has met my needs and made me realize that a good dictionary is the most amazing resource I've ever encountered.



Click Here to see more reviews about: The New Oxford American Dictionary: Book and CD-ROM package (New Look for Oxford Dictionaries) (Hardcover)

No comments:

Post a Comment